I've long been fascinated by survivalism and all of its subtypes: flu preppers, peak oil preppers, and now economic survivalists. I have to admit, while I'm too lazy to do it myself, there is something very appealing and comforting about the idea of stockpiling food "to last two winters," as they say. Having a flour and grist mill is apparently very important, and there are some fancy ones out there that I've found recommended on prepper sites. It's kind of hard to imagine grinding flour to make -what? bread? matzoh?- during the apocalypse when there's a war of all against all. But I have a feeling that survivalists will be eating well in the fraught future while the rest of survive on cold cans of Spaghetti-o's.
Here's a few favorite sites to get you started:
- Breezy, with a Chance of Cytokine Storms...
- holy swine flu, batman!
- Everyday Preppers
- Constantly Updated List of Potentially Hazardous A...
- Pandemic Watch 2009
- Ameros for everyone
- 20 Japanese Robots Probably Intent on Murdering Yo...
- SARS, Mumps and Creepy PSAs
- Break-Ins: a Hot Trans-Pacific Trend
- Traffic Can Triple Heart Attack Risk
- Break-Ins: The hot new job
- Jenny McCarthy Body Count
- Which Anatomy Tattoo Are You Getting?
- ▼ April (13)